Sunday 1 March 2015

Blink

There are moments in life that if you blink, you'll miss it.  I only wish I could capture those moments or occasions simply by blinking.  For a photo to be taken inconspicuously and instantaneously, forever captured on film and never forgotten.  But perhaps, these moments were never meant to be simply stored within my hard-drive but rather imprinted in my memory...


The child of no more than 3 years old carrying a miniature hoe over his shoulders, trailing behind his mother as they journey to work in the field *blink*

The walking trees, or so it would seem when a pair of legs and a bale of forage walks towards you on the dirt road – *blink* –

The apparently lifeless goats and pigs strapped to the backs of pedal-bikes that when at a stand-still bleat and grunt to reassure you that blood still runs – *blink* –

The countless star-filled night skies and upside down half moons – *blink* –

The toothless smile of the old man who talks at me in Kinyarwanda, praying that one day I’ll understand him and respond – *blink* –

The child struggling with a jerry can filled with water that is obviously too heavy for her to carry, yet she does…sometimes on her head, other times with it in one hand and walking like a scarecrow to keep balance – *blink* –

The women in the field, with babies strapped to their backs striking the ground with their hoes in unison as though they are performing some kind of synchronized-cultivating – *blink* –

The girl carrying a single notebook on her head as she walks to school because carrying it by hand is obviously far too easy – *blink* –

The women selling their harvest on straw mats or in wicker-baskets on the ground in the centre…2 avocados for 50f (5p), 3 bananas for 100f (10p), a kilo of sweet potatoes for 200f (20p)…– *blink* –

The men, women and children in their Sunday-best – *blink* –

The food-mountains on plates created by teachers and tutors at lunch during trainings – *blink* –

The pride spread upon a tutor’s face upon being told positive aspects of their lesson because so often, all that is offered are criticisms – *blink* –

That moment when my former neighbour’s children remember my name and shout it repeatedly whilst running excitedly towards me to greet me – *blink* –

The mist that blankets the hills and valleys as the sun rises red in the sky...beauty beyond description – *blink* –

Moments like these will likely haunt me for many years to come calling me to, 'never forget.'  My leave date has not been finalised but it is imminent...










No comments:

Post a Comment