Sunday 16 February 2014

2-0-1-4 so far...

The school year started with a move of the TRC (Teacher Resource Centre) to the physics lab…and then EIGHT-THOUSAND books were sent by KIE (Kigali Institute of Education) for use in Primary schools…and I had to sort through them ALL!


The books were donated by a USA-charity (I think) as they're all in American English and the guided reading books are on American historians/inventors/sports/geography - completely relevant and appropriate for primary children here of course!  


This is my first workshop for the tutors at the TTC (Teacher-training college).  The tutors teach/train secondary school students and those also training to be primary school teachers.  Here I'm teaching them how resources (flashcards) should be interactive and get students moving and actively participating rather than simply repeating/chanting/copying what is on the board.


This is Saundo.  She has appeared in my earlier blog posts.


Here I am delivering my second workshop - thought I'd do some promotion for VSO too - I don't usually wear a 'uniform.'  (Actually, when I teach the student-teachers I have to wear a white lab coat - I now know that rather than making tutors distinguishable, it is more to protect your clothes from the chalk dust!)

Another workshop on nursery rhymes and teaching songs has been requested too by the tutors - so would appreciate any CDs/books of nursery rhymes sent out please (even the Jolly Phonics songs would be appreciated!)


I attended my SECOND wedding since being here.  This is the Dean of Discipline, Ignace and his beautiful bride, Caritas at the Sector office.  (Legal registering)


We then moved onto the bride's family home where the dowry-ceremony took place.  This is Orlane, she is my principal's youngest daughter.


…and this is JACKO, my new housemate, although he will soon be moving out to his new home.  (Sad times! - considering how apprehensive I was to begin with about someone else moving in with me, I'll be sad to see him go - but he will only be a 5 minutes walk away and I'll see him everyday at school!  It'll be ok.)


This is the final part of the wedding and the TTC staff members (well, some of them…) - I got prime position in the photo :)  Imagine, this photo was taken by the professional photographer...


And this was the bus that I made - only someone drew on it before I had a chance to :(  I'll have to make my improvements somehow...


Internet connection has been really poor here so haven't been able to update anything but in all fairness, after FIVE (and a half) MONTHS of living here, life is becoming pretty routine.  Power cuts and water shortages are more frequent and the rainy season has kicked in.  The irony of having no running water in the village but torrential rains everyday has gone beyond comical - still, there's always the ability to harvest rainwater, just got to let my night guard and helper know that when I leave buckets outside, it's intentional.  I have woken in the morning to find my buckets inside and empty :(

So this is life in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment