Thursday 7 November 2013

Questions

We are definitely in the ‘rainy season’ here in Rwanda and when it rains here, God doesn’t do things by half – forget ‘black rain’ (if you’re familiar with the rain signals of HK/Japan…black rain is the worst you can get – it’s beyond torrential…)  Inevitably, I will be asked the question, ‘how is the climate here compared to England?’  Or, ‘how do you find the climate here?’  

Weather small-talk, I thought only the British did that!

I did not come prepared for it to be gloriously hot and sunny in the morning only for clouds to suddenly appear and the rain to come pelting down, soaking me to the bone within seconds.  

I NEED WELLIES* AND WATERPROOFS! - A bit of online shopping is required me thinks... 
(*I must check that my spell-check does not change this into something else as it has done before!)

Another more obvious question that I am always asked (and this happened when I lived in Japan too…) – ‘Are you married?’ or other combinations – ‘are you single?’, ‘do you have a boyfriend?’, ‘is your husband in England?’, ‘are you single searching or single waiting?’, ‘is that your child?’ (I have a picture of my niece on my phone and laptop.)  The obsession here with marriage is incredible.  I went to visit another TTC a month or so ago and our ice-breaker introduction consisted of us saying our names, our job-role and whether or not we were married!  No matter where I go, I will never escape this question so it would seem...

My favourite question of all has to be, ‘do you know kung fu?
(At this point, I am always reminded of the scene in Matrix where Neo looks at his hands and says, ‘I know kung fu.’ – I’m tempted to reenact it at least once when I’m asked it…)

Chinese martial art films are very popular here and the stereotypical assumption that is upon me is:
(a)  I speak mandarin and can teach it
(b)  I know some sort of martial art
(c)   I can make/build anything (as with everywhere else in the world, most things are ‘made in China.’)

I am sorry to say that I do not meet any of the criteria (although I am developing the last as that's essentially my job role!) 

I am somewhat of a mystery here…it throws people that I speak English with a British accent (but I think that happens wherever I go…) and that I’ve actually NEVER been to mainland China despite having lived in HK for three years!  But my mum will be pleased that I maintain some of my Chinese roots as some of my first purchases here were soya-sauce, oyster sauce and chopsticks!  (It is hard to source ginger and sesame oil out here - but am thankful for my sister who sent me the latter!)

Through all these questions, I am constantly asking myself - what am I doing here?  Or more specifically, why did God lead me out here?  Sometimes I think I know why - but most days I'm left a little clueless.  Maybe I'll discover in hindsight, only I wish I knew with certainty now.

Never-ending questions...



No comments:

Post a Comment