Tuesday 15 October 2013

What's in a name?

I am now Mary.

Rwandans cannot seem to grasp that I have the same name as a month of the year and opt to call me Mary instead...

Names here are a funny thing.  Most people are called by their surname.  Their English first names are usually names of saints and are pronounced the French way (seeing as Rwanda was French-speaking up until a few years ago...) - hence why I am Mary (the mother of Jesus.)

My principal gave me the name, 'Ingabire' (in-ga-beer-ray) - which means 'gift.'  Part of me is encouraged by this name but then it also feels like there is great expectation upon me to fulfil whatever connotations a gift delivers.  So what type of gift am I?  I am yet to find out...

'What is your name?' is a question I am constantly asked - and I am sure I ask the same children that question every day - I am finding that I have a memory like a sieve (maybe it's my age...)  I'm now at the stage where it's embarrassing to ask someone's name because I often get the response: 'We have met before, you do not remember me?'  It's hard to explain that there are 770 students in my school, 30 teachers and countless other people that I meet on a daily basis - how could I possibly remember EVERY person I meet, particularly if I was merely introduced to the person and did not hold a conversation with them other than a simple 'muraho.'

______________

Last weekend I went to Kigali and I finally understood why/how rural-folk go wild when in the city.  I unashamedly spent over one month's salary in 2 days - mostly on food!  It was a frivolous weekend of excellent company (meeting up with fellow VSO-volunteers) and shopping.  I am now the proud owner of a non-stick frying pan.  Never would I have imagined what joy such an item could provide - I made a perfect fried egg upon returning to my village and it made me smile!

Like most other volunteers, the 'tailoring' bug has bitten me.  People here often buy material from the market and get clothes tailored - I am waiting upon 3 new dresses, excited is an understatement!  My next post will be me modelling my new wears :)

The weekend reminded me of how incredibly blessed I am.  I am so well looked after in my village and despite the dangers of living alone in an unknown place, God has protected me and provided me with a support network that I could not have envisaged having before arriving here.  There have been occasions where there was only one unfavourable option to take and through the uncertainty, I was always at peace throughout the journey.  I can but accredit that to someone higher watching over me.  This does not of course mean that I will become complacent or take unnecessary risks - I am simply secure in the knowledge and faith that God is with and for me.  Thank you for your prayers and thoughts, I do feel them here...



2 comments:

  1. You are a gift May- you don't have a thing to prove. They probably see you the way God sees you! I always enjoy reading your blogs, so inspiring. Bless you mate. Al x

    ReplyDelete