Wednesday 18 June 2014

Lost in translation

'I'm fine thank you,' is a response that I get with most things here.

Me:  Hi
Random child/colleague/student/neighbour:  I'm fine

Even before I've opened my mouth, often I am met with, 'I'm fine thank you and you?'

But to be fair, this was also the standard response to my questions when I lived in Japan…and come to think of it, this is what I'm ALWAYS asked by any passerby here: 'amakuru' (How are you?) - and the standard response is - 'ni meza, ayanyu?' - I'm fine and you?

_______________


I lost all motivation to learn Kinyarwanda a while ago, possibly since the start of this year!  But I find that without it - life is somewhat complicated.  I still have lessons now and again, but not as frequently as I'd like.  However, I have mastered simple phrases of, 'I want…'  (One common one - 'ndashaka mutzig gatoya/petit, ikonje' - I want a small Mutzig, cold - Mutzig being one of the locally sold beers here.)  A key phrase, no doubt - but I can never get 'deep' into conversations here - and that's what I miss.

Whilst language is a limitation/barrier, culturally, people do not tend to speak about their emotions here.  'Ihangane' - 'be patient' is the answer to anybodies' woes, whether someone has faced sickness, loss of any form, anger towards another, stress at work…the response is always, 'ihangane' and then a beer is placed in your hands.  No-one wants to hear the nitty gritty details, the thousand thoughts that whizz through your mind…And yet when I am told this, my blood only boils and a tirade of words are screamed (whether internally or externally).  I find no comfort in this term - but maybe I've just lost the meaning in translation.

I guess the equivalent in English is, 'I'm sorry.'  Afterall, what comfort do the words, 'I'm sorry' bring when you've lost something/one?  What difference does it make when I've had a bad day at work and someone utters the words, 'I'm sorry' to me?  Maybe it's what I'm used to, perhaps it's my understanding of the culture/context in which they are uttered - but actually, those two (technically 3) words DO make me feel better.

_____________________

Today there was a snake lying dead in the Centre, its head mangled and deformed - possibly from being run over by a moto.  I was trying to tell my helper, Gaudence today about it and used the word 'inzoga' instead of 'inzoka' - she looked at me strangely.  Why was I asking her if she'd seen the BEER in the centre?  (This post seems to have a running beer theme!?!)…my intention of course was to say 'inzoka' - snake but I often get things mixed up here:

Inama = meeting
Inyama = meat
Intama = sheep (/nt/ has an aspirated sound - more like 'h')
Imana = God

So this is my life, forever lost in the translation of words, actions and culture.










No comments:

Post a Comment