Thursday 19 December 2013

The MOVE

After a month of living in my mud hut - a place that I'd become quite attached to, my programme officer came to visit me and was appalled by the condition of it - not because I'm a dirty/messy person (which I'm not) but simply due to how basic it was.  I always knew that I had the most basic of housing in comparison to all other September intake of volunteers but actually in my AREA, it's a pretty decent house.  (Quite luxurious to have a home to oneself - although locals feel sorry for me because they think that I am 'lonely.')  So anyhow, the wheels were set in motion and the hunt began to find a new home for me.  I know I've posted photos of my old home before but here it all is again…




The view from my old house - taken in September, now there are cash-crops of some form growing en masse out here - no photo to show, sorry!

Venturing into my house, this was my store room - I had two unpainted rooms in the house - I think there were mice in here.  The other I used for a 'drying room' - only it was rather damp, so wasn't really fit for purpose!


The other 2 painted rooms, one being my living room was where I spent a lot of my time.



House guest…moo-assive spider…with fangs!

My Olive wall :)

My Bedroom

 This was the entrance to my home…when it rained, the floor was always flooded!  This also doubled up as my washroom as I refused to wash in the outhouse that had no ceiling…


I did not take a picture of my pit-latrine, I did not want to cause any trauma but suffice to say, it was not  the most attractive of rooms!

So a little over 3 months of living here, I was moved to this:


…4 bedrooms, a living room, dining room, indoor bathroom and 3 outhouses round the back…it's a MANSION!

The view from the side of my home…


The removal process was somewhat interesting with my furniture and goods being either carried on people's heads or on the back of a pedal bicycle.  I was overwhelmed by the people who came to help, not expecting any payment but simply because they wanted to help.  I even had two of the neighbouring kids carry part of my bed frame on their heads - I wish I'd taken a photo.  They are no more than 7 years old but the way they shared the load was heartbreaking.

And now for the inside - just like my old place, the floor is not tiled and looks constantly dirty but at least it's level…all my (VSO provided) furniture looks a little lost - I have so much space now!


The front door leads into my sitting room which in turn leads into the dining area.

I haven't taken any photos of the other bedrooms as they are completely bare - but here's mine anyway. Much bigger and lighter than my last.  I have evidently chosen well, there was a massive rainstorm tonight and the other side of the house leaked - my room remained dry (YAY!)


I now have running water and a shower (that dribbles) - so I'll still be bathing like I did when I was a child (in a basin/bucket - flannel washing) at least that way, I get a hot wash but nevertheless I am thankful for indoor bathroom facilities.  It feels good to have a tap again - although old habits die hard as I've got my jerry cans filled up just in case the water goes off/there is a water shortage.

The power has been going off more frequently of late so am having to charge things up constantly - just in case!  I'm learning to live without both electricity and water but it's not easy.  It's ok in the daytime, it's the nights that are hard without either but I'd have to say, living without water is far harder than electricity.  I always have my candles, head torch and now glow-sticks to provide light but water, if you don't have that there are so many things that you can't do - flushing the toilet, washing hands/clothes/dishes/floor, cooking…(drinking is fine, I can always purchase bottled water.)

I'm thankful for the move.  Just waiting for my new housemate to arrive in January now.  (A male volunteer from the Netherlands.)




No comments:

Post a Comment