Wednesday 4 December 2013

Playing Catch-up

Sorry for not writing for a bit – school holidays are somewhat strange.  I arrived here in Rwanda nearly 3 MONTHS AGO now, we had our induction in Kigali and then were sent off to our work places with only a month left of term (2 weeks of which were taken by internal and national exams.)  So I'm currently half-way through a 2month holiday!  (Although technically I am still contracted to work unless I apply for leave.)

Throughout November I diligently went to school every day despite there being NO students nor staff and I sat in my TRC (teaching resource centre) and attempted to motivate myself to make resources.  I wasn’t as productive as I’d hoped but I managed to make a few rice-sack posters, letter templates, games and flashcards.  The problem was the lack of resources I had to make these things in the first place – so it meant a couple of trips into town to buy basic items like scissors, tape, markers, pencils – things we take for granted back home.  (Susan W. where are you when I need you? – I appreciate you so much more now for keeping the CC stationery cupboard so well stocked!)

My rice-sack Snakes and Ladders - with beer bottle top counters...

Last week I had a visitor – MY FIRST!  It was great to have Tash, a fellow volunteer come and experience my Rwanda.  She got the full on village experience from a packed bus back to Cyahinda followed by random children running to hug your legs; washing without taps/shower and basin; using my now infamous pit latrine; locals inviting themselves around with little to no notice…oh and the 5.30am wake-up call of the umuganda man :)

Here Tash is making resources in my TRC - evidence that we were working!

The weekend was then spent in Rusizi where I had such a great time I’ll be returning again for Christmas!  Rusizi lies on the boarder of the DRC – it is separated by the stunning Lake Kivu and is/was a 5 hour journey from Cyahinda.  Our hosts, yet more volunteers were FAB – particularly Becks who organized a forest trek.

 Lake Kivu with DRC on the other-side...

The Rusizi contingent + Tash (Glyn, Steph, Becks & Mary)


Nyungwe Forest is the oldest Rainforest in East Africa (I might be making this up…but I’m sure that’s what our guide, Claude said!)  Due to it’s location, it was likely to have survived the ice-age with the ferns dating back to the Jurassic period (apparently?!)


I really did not pack very sensibly for Rwanda – needless to say, I own no hiking gear here (not that I ever have done…)  I turned up to trek the rainforest in jeans, a handbag and trainers – whereas everyone else had hiking trousers, boots and rucksacks – am very thankful to Mary who lent me a pair of light-weight hiking trousers.  Still, my £9 trainers supported me enough not to fall despite the somewhat impossible terrain that we had to walk/climb through/up.  So that’s one more thing to add to the list when I eventually return home to stock up on goodies – hiking/walking gear!



The scenery was simply spectacular.  I will let the photos speak for themselves although they really don’t do it much justice.



Walking through the tea plantation



Heading towards the rainforest...

Crossing the bridge that was blocked by a fallen tree



The joys of the terrain we had to tackle…I did this on my hands and knees I think!  :)


But this is what we came to see…the waterfall :)


 
I loved the heart shape cave

Yes, that's a snake - an adder


We treated ourselves after our 4.5hour trek with a drink at the 5* Nyungwe Lodge which made me reminisce back to the days of living in HK and taking weekend trips around S.E Asia to 5* resorts…a far cry to where I am today.  A few of us have decided that this is where we’ll spend Christmas next year – just as a treat.  (Got to get saving then…)  It's set right in the heart of the tea plantations - so serene, simply beautiful!



Inside the hotel lobby...I want this on my wall!



It was lovely to spend time with the other volunteers.  It’s amazing how quickly people can bond and have done so here.  Throughout my lifetime I have always been blessed with people whom I have been able to experience ‘life’ with – the highs and lows – and in this chapter of my life, I’m happy to say that God continues to provide. 

I have not done this in a while but here are my prayer requests:
  • That my Kinyarwanda may develop enough to be able to get to know my neighbours/community a bit better (or perhaps that I’m motivated to study! – My Kinyarwanda teacher has set me homework to write about my time in Rusizi and instead I’m writing this blog – I’ve actually done it inadvertently here, just not in the right language!)
  • I still haven’t made it to a church service yet but pray for time to spend with God – it’s so easy to fill my apparent ‘free time’ with mindless things!
  • My tolerance levels for people begging or asking me for money/food is wearing thin – I guess to pray for patience and love where it is due.  To know how to respond with sensitivity and compassion.  Some days are better than others…
  • My suspicions about VSO moving me into a bigger house (see a few posts down) have been confirmed - a new volunteer will arrive in January and whilst I am sure it will be lovely having a house-mate, I am somewhat anxious as I am very much someone who likes my own space.  Still, the new house is relatively big…
And that's pretty much me for now…thanks for reading folks!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment