Tuesday 12 August 2014

Home

The more I travel and live away from home, the more I realise how much my heart remains at home.

A place to rest, to escape, to find refuge, to be loved and love.

So where is home for me?  Home is where my family is – my family connected by blood, my spiritual family and my friends…and whilst all those people are dotted around the world, the majority are in London.

No matter who or what has occupied a place in my heart around the world, I am always drawn back to where it all began.  My last trip to London simply ‘concretized’ that notion.  (They love to use that word – concretize – here in Rwanda…I didn’t even realize it was a word until I came!)


The minute I stepped off the plane onto British soil to seeing my mother waiting with anticipation at the door for me to return; to being surprised by my extended family hiding in my sister’s garden to greet and welcome me home; to walking through the double doors of St James’ Church, Muswell Hill and seeing Rachel Elliott leading worship and Jo Hutchinson on projection…and even being squeezed to death by ex-colleagues, students and parents – I knew that home IS London.

So what next for me?  I have roughly 7 months left on my visa/contract here.  VSO have asked me to extend - the project that I'm working on ends around March 2016.  My project officer told me to extend for another 6 months, guess he didn't know that I'm on an 18 month contract!!!  When I put him straight, he said, "1 more year, it's not a lot!"  Me thinks otherwise.

So what next?  I really don't know.  I LOVE teaching, being in the classroom and building relationships with my students, parents and colleagues - but there is so much more beyond this that comes with the job - and with every job, there will always be things that you do not like/agree with.  But should we jump ship because of these things or plough on?  I guess I will simply do what I've always done - listen to that small, still, quiet voice within - to be patient and listen and wait upon the Lord.  He led me here on a 12 year journey, which still continues.  Who knows, perhaps despite my longing to be 'home', I may be called to be here (or elsewhere) for that extra year and even beyond!  

I will wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment