Friday 11 July 2014

United Colours of Football

I had never imagined that I would ever write a blogpost on football, let alone the merits of it...but here I am.

With the World Cup drawing to an end this Sunday, there'll be a big hole left in the community here in Cyahinda.  The matches have been something to look forward to with hundreds of students gathered in the refectory watching on the box-television, various randoms watching in the local health centre and others gathered around a radio in the local bar listening intently with beer in hand.  Children play football on the dirt paths with a ball made of banana-plant leaves tied together with twine of some form screaming, 'MESSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIII' as they pelt the ball over their friends head; and then there's the recent trend of christening children as 'Suarez' or 'Robin van Persie' or other favourite football players.  (Yes, you read correctly, CHRISTENED!)  The VSO community (and I am sure most school communities!) came together to support our Dutch colleagues who unfortunately have now left the competition :( (I was dead set on a Brazil Vs Netherland final...how wrong was I?!?!) All-in-all, football plays a big role in this small village and country.  The World cup has truly made the world a smaller place and tightened bonds within communities.

People here LOVE football.  They follow the Premiere League with great anticipation and as vehemently as any follower back home.  Buses, motos and bicycles are often adorned with Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool memorabilia.  (*Sorry Wood, Newcastle Utd. is not as hotly supported here...I've seen some shirts around but it's few and far between!  Even the likes of Tottenham rarely get a look in...but that might just be here in the South - Becks, perhaps you may disagree!)

Even I am drawn in by the hype of big competitions like the World Cup and Euro - Premiere League does nothing for me.  It's not so much the game itself, but the people it brings together.  With football, there are no cultural or language barriers; frustrations and joys are easily mirrored across the usual divides.  People meet and unite unexpectedly even if they don't quite understand the game itself, they join to support teams, countries, their friends and colleagues.  (I'm ignoring the fact that even here, there is minor hooliganism...I'm trying to focus on the positives!)

So I end with a phrase I never thought I'd utter:  Football, the World Cup, thank you for bringing the world closer together...

No comments:

Post a Comment