Monday 6 January 2014

Breaking Dawn

Another year has begun.

The countdown to the new year began with Christmas in Rusizi with fellow VSO-orphans Steph and Lauren. 


Yet contrary to the photo above…Christmas was anything but sad for me.  

For many, Christmas is a time with family, friends, copious amounts of food and drink and spending a small fortune on gifts. 

This was my Christmas:
  • Three-way Skype convo with my brother who was holidaying in Osaka, Japan and my sister (and niece Olive) back in London and a telephone convo with my mother - family: tick.
  • Taking turns to cook with Steph and Lauren - friends & good food: tick


  • Mulled wine with Becks’ Christmas gift (what a treat!) - drink: tick
  • Not-so-secret-Santa with Lauren & Steph and LOTS of parcels from around the world - presents: tick
I thought about the journey of those at the first Christmas – Mary & Joseph, the Wise Men/Kings and the shepherds – for days they travelled to await and welcome the birth of Christ.  Through rough terrain and adverse conditions they struggled to meet the newborn King but they were willing and filled with joy at the chance to see the baby in the manger.  Christmas for me was just as joyously anticipated and met.  Waking at the crack of dawn to catch a bus that we were on the waiting list for; taking a grueling 3.5hr bus journey wedged with 4 others on a row of seats designed for 3 people; being surrounded by 4 pukers on a bus that was simply not road-worthy…particularly on some of the pothole ridden roads that we passed but then at the end of our (Lauren and my) tunnel, there was light as we were met by the lovely Steph and 3 days of good food, UNO, cheesy Christmas music and many films proceeded.  My heart was heavy and overwhelmed, not out of sadness but because I felt the blessings of Christ’s love in and through my friends.  This warm and fuzzy feeling only continued through to New Year...

New Year was spent in Gisenyi with 10 other VSO volunteers – it was a beautiful setting filled with much laughter and silliness :)

The tents where we stayed - glamping at its best!  £20/tent - bargainous!

Mini-people that just appeared one day…Rwandan Hobbits minus the hairy feet...

The view...

Breakfast…

New Year's Eve…me rocking the festival look with my new wellies!  Thanks to my sisters for getting them out to me - and even bigger thanks to Michael/Scribbler for bringing them out for me!  (Not sure what Lauren is doing - looking quite arty really!)

VSO-Christmas-orphans reunited

New Year's Eve meal




So, a new year has dawned, what will it hold?  I have not made any resolutions but hope that just as 2013 opened many doors and took me in a new direction, 2014 will find me confident enough to keep pushing doors and taking steps forward.  Umwaka Mwiza!  (Happy (New) Year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment